Moxy Metals


Commission Work: Flower Bikini Snapshots
February 26, 2013, 3:06 pm
Filed under: Commissioned Work. | Tags: , , ,

 

elan_1

On my way to drop this commission piece with the client I took a few snapshots of this wild bronze bikini.  Each flower is about 4.5″ x 4″ x 3″.  I left a rainbow oxide/heat patina on the piece, and each adjustable chain is hand built, forged and soldered.  Now you know what I’ve been doing the past few months – plus, my never ending quest for the next steps in my design studio and with my non-profit, Uproar Art.

elan_2

Advertisements


New Commission Work: Vintage Hand Carved Ring
November 10, 2011, 7:26 am
Filed under: Commissioned Work., Fall 2011 | Tags: , , , , ,

This oxidized fine silver ring took me a marathon 12 hours, between carving, casting and finishing.  Inspired by a vintage design, I recreated this piece with 5 tube settings including birth stones of the couple commissioning it (topaz and sapphire).  The oxides on the hand carved band are supposed to reference wear and age.  I think the stones look quite nice against the grey.  I enjoyed the challenge of this ring very much, and was quite pleased with the results.  I hope it fits!  I just sent it off today…more shots below…

 

 

 



Shark Teeth Necklace

So a member of my family recently visited Florida, and delivered me many a fossilized shark tooth!  She asked for one necklace in return, so, after trying as I might to stretch the shark teeth’s jewelry potential – too brittle for hole drilling, can’t withstand heat for casting or PMC, I had to resort to classic sterling wire wrapping.  I think the necklace remains elegant, and I like the contrast the pearls give it.  The bronze spacer component is designed for holding 5 strand pearl necklaces apart, but I like that it really gives the teeth the distance they need.  The total length of the necklace is about 16″, and includes sterling chain and a sterling lobster clasp.  You can get the same style necklace at my Esty, though no two are identical do to the individuality of the fossilized shark teeth.  Here’s another image of the necklace not on a model:



New Commission Work: Claw Ring

This ring was designed for a client who wanted a delicate, organic, adjustable setting.  This ring will be reproduced with various raw stones, and will need to fit a variety of shapes.  Formed from a single piece of 18 gauge sterling silver, this piece features an opening behind the stone and five arms that extend around the stone to “grasp” it in place.  This ring as a rough feel, and a hammered surface.  The client requested that we see the hand of the maker in this piece, so I’ve left a bit of torque to the setting and a bit of warping to the ring band itself. Hope it’s what she expected!



New Commission Work: Gas Mask Pendant, Final Result
March 10, 2010, 4:46 am
Filed under: Commissioned Work., Winter 2010 | Tags: , , ,

Here is the final result of all my hard work – an oxidized, proper cast.  Now we’ll see how many times the client would like to replicate this pendant…here’s hoping many!  I included a thumb photo for size reference, because it’s easy to mistake this pendant for being larger than it is.



New Commission Work: Gas Mask Re-cast
March 9, 2010, 4:28 pm
Filed under: Commissioned Work., Winter 2010 | Tags: , ,

I used the silicon mould from the original gas mask to create the wax for this cast.  You can see how much more detail I was able to achieve with the wax burnout, and how I didn’t get the porosity like the last mould.  I still have to do some finishing work, but this pendant is well on its way!



New Commission Work: Gas Mask Pendant
March 4, 2010, 1:30 am
Filed under: Commissioned Work., Winter 2010 | Tags: , , ,

This piece is cast in fine silver, then patinated with liver of sulfur and finally sanded to get an aged and battered look.  The client wanted to replicate a model gas mask (apprx. 1″ x 1/2″) for a pendant.  I edited the gas mask slightly, which arrived perhaps as a toy soldier’s ecoutrement.  The initial piece was in a rubber of some kind.  I filled holes, and drilled new ones at the top for jump rings, and popped out eye holes.   Unfortunately, because I tried to cast from the rubber original, there was a lot of porosity in the burn out, and I was left with an incomplete casting.  Luckily, I made a silicon mould of the original in advance, in case such a mis-cast should occur . Still, I think the worn nature of the cast works with this vision, with the exception that I wish the mid section of the mask had cast, there should be a piece connecting the mouth covering with the piece stretching down between the eyes.  Hopefully the client will allow me a second attempt; this time I’ll cast a wax pulled from my silicon mould, hopefully with better results.

Here’s the pendant pre- liver of sulfur, so you can see the difference if you’re not familiar with this process.